This will be my third year hosting Thanksgiving at our home. It’s been a learning process and it still continues as I work on planning the cooking. Somehow it all comes together in the end like a perfect wrapped package, despite anxiety over the details. While I have planned on how things will go, my go to for organization is to make many lists. I jotted down a simple menu and as the big day approaches it’s been tweaked a bit. It changed as I discovered which relatives will bring what dishes. Next I wrote a grocery list. This year I had two, one for a week ago and one for fresh veggies for today. I picked up chicken broth, pickles, olives and the turkey last week and today shopped for fresh veggies and last-minute additions.
I brushed up on recipes, talked to my mother-in-law about her tasty sausage stuffing and my sister-in-law Bev on her fabulous gravy. I will make these dishes the best I can in the next few days and every year it should get easier and become a science.
I’ve already made my son’s cookies since he prefers them to pie and tomorrow I’ll make deviled eggs and start roasting veggies for the gravy. I’ve planned what I’ll make on which day and the big pie baking day will be Wednesday. Wahoo!
Here’s some advice for your Thanksgiving planning that have helped me. I always love to read my blogging friends holiday tips!
* Go early to the grocery store to avoid crowds. The next few days will be hectic
* Write a list of dishes you wish to prepare and a separate list of items needed for them
* Communicate with family and friends to see what they are bringing
* Ask your spouse and family members to help peel veggies, vacuum the house or other tasks you may need done while you cook and bake
* Light the candles, wear your favorite apron and play Christmas tunes as you cook. It will lighten the mood and relax you.
Laugh with your loved ones. Doesn’t Dylan look happy?
* Most Important, have fun and thank your blessings as you plan and prepare the feast!
As I wrap this post up I wish you all a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving! Indulge in good food, company and remember to acknowledge what you are grateful for! I’m beyond thankful for my loving family, they are my anchor and life is so sweet with them! I’m thankful that my son Dylan proposed to his girlfriend Alexis this month and will marry her in August! I’m so thrilled to be gaining a sweet daughter in law! I’m also grateful for my friends, my little job at school and the children there.
All My Best,
Heart and Soul 💗